Thierry Henry reveals the social media boycott of English football was what he wanted when he deactivated his own accounts as he says high-profile action “is my happiest moment”
- English football have revealed they will take part in a social media boycott next week
- Not all Premier League, EFL and WSL players and clubs will post for four days
- Thierry Henry praised English football for the blackout from April 30 to May 3
- Former Arsenal striker quit social media in March to protest online abuse
Thierry Henry says the social media boycott of English football scheduled for next weekend is his “happiest moment” as the sport aims to tackle online abuse.
The Premier League, EFL and Women’s Super League announced on Saturday night that they will participate in a four-day social media blackout from April 30 to May 3 to tackle online discrimination. The Football Association and the Kick It Out group will also participate.
Former Arsenal and France striker Henry disabled all of his social media accounts in March in protest against platforms such as Facebook and Twitter for not doing enough to protect players from abuse and praised the work of the English football after Saturday’s announcement.
Thierry Henry described the social media boycott of English football as his “happiest moment”
Premier League, EFL and WSL players and clubs to blackout on social media next week
Henry wrote in a chronicle of The sun: ‘It’s winning, winning, winning – that’s what I was hoping for when I announced that I was coming out of all platforms and that’s what I was talking about – the strength of the peloton.
“Now listen, not all English football is happy with you. Social media platforms – what do you have to say?
‘This is my happiest moment. Football is something. Not just money. It’s not just take, take, take. It is also giving. Now he’s really trying to tackle the issues.
Henry praised England teams for their position just weeks after leaving social media himself
‘Well done to everyone involved. We act instead of talking. It’s a different ball game.
Last month, Henry complained that the problems on online platforms were “too toxic to ignore” regarding “racism, bullying and the resulting mental torture of individuals.”
A statement on the Frenchman’s Instagram read, before the account was deactivated: “I will withdraw from social media until those in power are able to regulate their platforms with the same vigor and ferocity as they do. currently when you infringe copyright.
Henry announced that he was deleting his account because “torture is too toxic to ignore
“Racism, bullying and the resulting mental torture to individuals are too toxic to ignore. There has to be some accountability.
“It is far too easy to create an account, to use it to intimidate and harass without consequence while remaining anonymous. Until this changes, I will deactivate my accounts on all platforms. Hope this will happen soon.
In an exclusive interview with Sportsmail, Henry spoke about the “strength of the pack” football can show if all clubs come together to highlight the issues facing online abuse through social media.
Henry told Sportsmail last month he wanted football to show “the strength of the pact”
The former striker said: “There has been an evolution in terms of reported abuse inside the stadium, people have become more courageous. But now we have a new problem, the abuse has shifted to social media.
“If we don’t alert people to the problem, nothing will happen. This is why I took my own steps, not to applaud, but to highlight the problem. Social media is a wonderful and important tool, but it needs to be safe.
“I’m not putting any pressure on anyone, that should be a feeling you have on the inside. But you should never underestimate the strength of the pack. Can this (a weekend boycott) be powerful? Yes, very powerful.